Tuesday, March 18, 2008

The Brand of You: Discovering Your Product

You have a special combination of skills, abilities and attitudes that is your "product". Unfortunately, not many of us know what those abilities are, therefore we don't know our product. If we don't know our product, we can't market ourselves. Your resume is another bland, unmemorable piece of paper that crosses the desk of an HR person every day.

We need to ask ourselves a few questions.

  1. What do I want to be?
  2. What have I done this week to make myself stand out?*
  3. What would my colleagues, customers or coworkers say is my biggest strength?
  4. What is my most remarkable personal trait?
  5. What do I do that adds remarkable, measurable, distinguished, distinctive value to my job?
  6. What do I do that I am most proud of?
  7. What have I accomplished that I can unabashedly brag about?
*I make a note of this because, in general, most people don't like to stick out - our society values conformity. However, if you want to be noticed, you need to stick out. This means not conforming and doing things differently.

Tom Peters: "If you're going to be a brand, you've got to become relentlessly focused on what you do that adds value, that you're proud of, and most important, that you can shamelessly take credit for."

The "feature-benefit model" is an excellent place to start developing your brand. Every feature you offer - for example, getting your work done on time - has a distinct benefit for your customer (your employer) - projects move smoothly and reliably. Feature: you answer the phones clearly and professionally; benefit: your company looks professional and organized, and customer satisfaction is high.

Exercise #2: Features and Benefits

Make 2 columns on a piece of paper. In the first column, write 4 features that you can offer. See questions 3 and 5 above for ideas.

For example:
  • I love talking to people and can approach anyone at any time and make smart small talk.
  • I can write clearly and concisely.
  • My colleagues say that I'm easy to get along with and they like having me around every day.
  • I'm organized and can plan work schedules for the future.
In the second column, write down the benefit to your client (your boss or company).

Are you starting to get a picture of your "product"?

Tomorrow: Your branding statement.

No comments: